The burger judges were Bud Kennedy, Malcolm Mayhew, Robert Philpot, Steve Wilson, Preston Jones, Heather Svokos, Cathy Frisinger and Rick Press.
Mayhew’s accompanying profile of Rodeo Goat, which is owned by the Wynne family of Flying Fish/Flying Saucer fame, includes some interesting tidbits, such as originally, Rodeo Goat was going to do tacos, not burgers.
Reader’s Choice trophy went to Tom’s Burgers and Grill in Arlington.
* Del Frisco’s downtown opened its new double-decker, New Orleans style patio/balcony this week.
* Much loved food truck Taco Heads will roll out a second truck this fall, says owner Sarah Castillo. While the first truck will stay planted behind Poag Mahone’s, the second truck will be more mobile, stopping at food parks, festivals, wherever tacos are wanted.
* Yet another reason to visit the new Pacific Table – happy hour. The restaurant announced on Facebook this week a new happy hour menu, consisting of $6 sushi rolls and discounted drinks. The new resto from The Tavern chef Felipe Armenta also launched Saturday/Sunday brunch last week.
* A new tapas restaurant called Sera Dining & Wine will open in Sapristi’s former spot. Exec chef will be Brandon Hudson, a Sapristi alum and former sous chef at Smoke in Dallas.* The old Cosmoz Cafe building, at 609 S. Jennings in the Near Southside area, has finally been occupied. Tony’s Pizza & Pasta will open in the next few weeks. Owner Tony Leland has previously run pizza joints in Arlington, Fort Worth and Kennedale.
* Reviews this week: Fort Worth Weekly checked out The Bearded Lady’s new, abbreviated menu. For the Star-Telegram, Teresa Gubbins reviewed the new Howard Wang’s China Grill in Southlake and Robert Philpot took a look at 333’s Gourmet Taco Shop in Colleyville.